Friday, August 30, 2013

"Decoupage your old shoes, are you joking?"


I have been asked so many times about the pictures that I put up about the Decoupaged Shoes that I said I would have to write a post about it.
Everytime we have a class on here at Ennis Creative Arts Centre students always comment on them and how beautiful they are.
When people realise that the shoes were Decoupaged they can't believe it.
So yes you can decoupage shoes and whats great about it is it usually only takes 1 sheet of decoupatch paper to cover the pair which costs only around €1.50.

To begin with you will need a sheet of decoupatch paper and the Decoupatch glue. You should be able to buy this at your local craft store. We sell it here also.
You can also use Modge Podge glue but I have never actually used it myself. I have tried just plain PVA glue as I have read in some articles that they suggest using PVA. I have tried this and the paper peeled off after a week or so.

So if you can, get your Hands on decoupatch glue. You can also buy it online.

The Decoupatch glue has a varnish in it which helps it fuse to the piece, thus enabling the paper to stick. For Good.

We use the paper and the glue all the time here at our furniture revamp classes and you can apply it to any surface really. Stone, Metal, Timber, Plastic etc.

Here are 3 pairs that I recently updated.

Take an old pair of shoes.

I loved these shoes and found them so comfortable and kept telling myself they needed to go but couldn't bring myself to throw them away.They did end up in the bin or one or two occassions but I tuck them out again. (Sad or what!). They were all scuffed at the front and one day at a decoupage class when I was doing up a piece of furniture it came to me. I wonder could you do a pair of shoes?
 I thought I was the first one ever to think of it. It turns out I amn't. You will find lots of photos on Pinterest of shoes that are Decoupaged. There I was thinking I had come up with a totally unique idea.

You can use basically any type of shoe but try and keep clear of shoes with a strap. I am only saying this as I did a pair with straps and Oh god it was a nightmare. Also don't use it on Fabric. I don't think it will take.

These were another favourite and they were just distroyed as you can see. Too many nights out. ( I wish). They used to have a flower on the front but they were a kind of see through style.They had a lovely heel and again were so comfortable.

 Here are a pair that a student did here at one of the classes.
Didn't they turn out great.

We then crocheted a rose for the front. If you don't crochet you could buy something like a bow for the front. We applied the rose with a Hot Glue gun.


The pattern for these roses I got from a wonderful book called "Cute and Easy Crochet" by Nicki Trench. She has just wonderful patterns in it and for someone starting off I always use this book.

When you are finished Decoupaging the shoes apply at least 5 coats of varnish. It will prolong their life. The paper on mine did eventually crack but I only applied 1 coat of varnish so I think if I had applied more they would have held up longer.

I wore them about 4 times before they started to crack so I still think its worth it and the great thing about Decoupage is you can always touch it up.

So go on give it a try.

I just know you will get hooked.

If you would like to attend a class check out the next decoupage class where you learn all types of techniques and tricks using this wonderful material.

Love and laughs.

Shirley









1 comment: