Thursday, August 29, 2013

Crochet Butterflies.

Any of you that has visited my Facebook page - Ennis Creative Arts Centre, will know that I am an avid lover of Crochet. I always tend to crochet instead of Knitting. I teach it here in my studios on a one to one basis to start with and then if someone wants to join the group they can do so.

A long time ago while I was flicking though different websites and blogs I came across a lovely pattern for crocheted butterflies. I loved it and made many of them. So if you want to find the pattern you will find it there. Marie has been very forthright in telling that it's not her pattern but she has a lovely detailed description there, which will enable anyone that crochets to do some. So pop over and say Hi and tell her I sent you. Her photos and description is great.

So after coming across the pattern again I decided I would give it a try. I arranged myself in my front sitting room recently when I had my children put to bed and had the box set of Downton Abbey ready to watch. Since I don't get to see it on TV, I get them at the Library and watch them in my own time. Oh it's better then a good bath.

A cup of Tea, Downton Abbey box set and a new crochet pattern to try. How sad am I. Easily pleased I'd say. (By the way check out your local library to see if they too have DVDs to take out. I can't believe what a great service they have in Ennis. I just LOVE the place..)

Ok so back to the topic in hand. I do tend to go off Topic from time to time.
The pattern is so easy and something that you could manage even if you are only starting off. It's also a great way of using up small bits of wool. So there I was one episode of Downton Abbey later and 4 or 5 butterflies made.

Now what to do with them?

You could use them to embellish anything really. From the fronts of cards to Crocheted Hats, Scarves anything really but I decided I would try and come up with a project that would do them justice. So here are a few of my ideas.

First I used them with some Hairbands.
To make these I had some blank white Hairbands which to be honest I had in my craft room since the year dot and knew they would come in handy some day. (That's why my craft room looks the way it is. I just don't know how people manage to keep their craft rooms so tidy!. I am trying but never manage to keep it exactly so). Anyway take a hairband and wrap the wool around the band nice and tightly. To keep it in place I put a small dab of glue on the inside from time to time. I used a hot glue gun for this.

Then when I had the band covered I attached the butterflies by sewing them onto the thread on the band.

And that's it really. Do try them and they make for great gifts.

You could make them in all colours and for special events - even a white one for a Holy Communion would be lovely or a green one for Saint Patricks Day.

So with them made I decided to make one more project to show off the Butterflies and that was when I came across the wonderful book by Kelly Doust called "The Crafty Kid".


Do check it out. It's wonderful.
In it she has a lovely mobile for a Baby or to hang anywhere. In hers she uses fabric petal shapes but in mine I was going to use the Butterflies.

It's Kellys concept that gave me my idea. In the book she has a beautiful mobile made with petal fabric flowers hanging from it. Do try and get a copy - the book is full of simple to follow projects.

Anyway I needed to make 12 Butterflies for my mobile and a spare one which I attached to the top hanger.

Then take a metal coat hanger and at the base cut it in two. Using the straight section as one piece and the top section as another piece. I used a wire cutter to cut it.



Then take some tape. A sellotape will do and wrap it around the ends of the metal. It's very sharp so the tape will take the sharpness off it.


Wrap the metal with polyester filling. I used some filling from an old cushion I had. Then in order to keep the polyester in place wrap it all with wool. Doing it as tightly as possible.


I then crocheted a piece that would cover each part of the hanger. It kinda looked like a small scarf for a doll. All hangers are different sizes and it also depends on the amount of polyester you put on it so you will have to judge for yourself but I crocheted 15 chain and then did a row of dc and then did a row of half trebles. This gave me a nice pattern to cover my metal pieces. Keep crocheting until it is long enough to cover the length of your hanger.


For the top piece of the hanger I did the same thing only when I got half way across the length of the hanger I wanted to create a hole for the hook to go through. To do this I crocheted half way across the line in what ever stitch you were working on and then I chained for about 6 to 8 stitches and then crocheted the rest of the line.


I hope this is making sense.

Take a look..


When I had all the crochet pieces finished I then sewed it all together.


 Finally to join the piece together I used Embroidery Thread. Et-voila!!!

 What do you think?


 If you are going to try it and need any help let me know. 

So that's the 3rd series of Downton Abbey over. What will I watch now...

Any suggestions?

So if you like what you see and perhaps you would like to learn how to crochet - and perhaps you live close by well why not come along to one of my classes.


Check out my website for more info on classes at http://www.enniscreativeartscentre.com

Love and Laughs.

Shirley
P.S. Next blog is on Decoupaging your shoes!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment