Monday, August 26, 2013

So here I am on my Third post feeling like an excited child to be finally writing a Blog. How sad am I? I hope this blog to be a type of, "A day in the life of a wife, a mother, a crafter and an Interior Designer".

I thrive to be the perfect Homemaker, a domestic goddess!, baking brown bread at 8.30, a run at 9.30 and back home to clean the already perfect home and then craft and design while I put on the Roast Chicken, then collect the kids, help them with their homework, Clean up, get them showered and ready for bed. A story and then back to doing some craft work for me. Finally a Hot bath and bed....

Yeah I know it sounds perfect alright....but it's not me. I do aim for that but to be honest if I get half of that done in a day I am doing well so before you start to hate my guts - fear not, I am no Martha Stewart but eh I do LOVE to try.

I usually avoid Housework at all costs but realise that eventually it has to be done.

So this weekend I made jam. I wouldn't blame you if you laughed at the measly amount that I managed to make. I only managed 2 and half pots, but haste not I am determined to collect more berries this week and ad to my stash. But so far Brambly Hedge I am not....
My little helpers and I may have to try a different location this time as we may have exhausted all supplies on the Bumpy Road for now. I wish I hadn't promised the world and it's mother some jam or I wouldn't be under so much pressure. I definitely underestimated the amount of berries needed even though I don't know why as I have made jam many times before. I don't think my helpers ate so much though the last year I made it.

Before you start get your Jars ready. You will need to sterilise them. I usually boil them in a pot but from now on I am going to put them in the oven for about 20mins at 120. Thanks Joanna White for that bit of advice.


I am no expert but I usually use 1 kilo of fruit to one kilo of Jam Sugar. I didn't have a kilo (Of Course! ) so I had to use equal amounts of Fruit and Sugar.


And OH MY GOD all that Sugar.


 Let the sugar dissolve and when it comes to the boil , let it boil for 4mins. Keep stirring at all times.
After four minutes and when it resembles a volcano (Or so I have been told) remove from heat.
And then immediately put into jars.
It's almost sinful. I could feel the hips getting bigger even as I cooked the jam. I know there are probably many other ways of making jam without so much sugar and please do share any ideas you may have. That is of course if there is anyone reading this at all. Perhaps I am just talking to myself but that's OK, I am used to that and I am writing again so that's good.

Initially when I made the Jam I made some fabric disks from remnants of fabric for the top of the jam and planned to leave it like this but as usual I couldn't help myself and put my designer head on and thought - "You can do better then that surely?".


Yes it's a disease, a kind of tick that I have that I think one of my tutors in College passed onto me. You learn to push everything you do design wise to the next level and look at things with designer glasses - so hence my jam pots needed more.


Why bother you may ask?

Why not I say....

And ...I am trying to avoid the dishes anyway.

So here is what I have done. I used some old Ribbon to tie around the Jam pots. Any type of ribbon will do.
I then made some tags with my Sizzix Big Shot machine but you can make them by hand too or just buy some. By the way if you're into paper crafting you should treat yourself to one of these machines. They are just brilliant and you can get Die Cuts in all shapes and sizes. Check out http://www.sizzix.com

Then I got out some pens and paper and using a fine tipped pen I did a quick sketch of some Blackberries and used this for the front of my Tag.
Then using some inks and a stamp I stamped the edges of the tag.
And that's it really. I think we are done.
Just one more thing. We can't have Jam without Brown Bread.
I am sure you all have your own recipe but if you would like mine please let me know. It's so easy. No butter cream. Just Flour, Wheat bran, Sugar (Again), and milk....
Then if you really want to depress yourself altogether and really go the dog on it have your jam with some Queen Cakes....Yum Yum..
Ok so that's it. I am off to boil the kettle...









No comments:

Post a Comment